Biodiversity New Zealand resources
IntroductionThis replaces the Biodiversity Information Online website that aimed to make finding resources easier for people working on biodiversity in New Zealand.
The former Biodiversity Information Online (BIO) website originally described the funded programmes of the New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy under the International Convention on Biological Diversity.
The BIO site was sponsored by the central government agencies that have a statutory role in managing and conserving New Zealand's unique biodiversity –
- Department of Conservation (DOC)
- Ministry for the Environment (MFE)
- Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) - formerly Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and Ministry of Fisheries
This section links to agencies, groups, organisations, and networks involved in biodiversity protection in New Zealand.
Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan
The Convention on Biological Biodiversity requires countries to prepare National Biodiversity Strategies and Action Plans (NBSAPs).
DOC coordinated the implementation of the New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy 2000-2020 and Action Plan 2016-2020. This expresses our long-term commitment to conserve our natural heritage.
Other government agencies implementing parts of the New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy were:
- Ministry for the Environment
- Ministry for Primary Industries
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment: Science and Innovation
- Te Puni Kokiri/Ministry of Maori Development
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Aotearoa New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy 2020
Te Mana o te Taiao, the Aotearoa New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy 2020, was released in August 2020.
Key data sources
- Ministry for Primary Industries is the lead agency for New Zealand biosecurity
- DOC biosecurity
Programmes and funding
- MBIE National Science Challenges
- Biodiversity guidance for private land
- Funding for community groups and landowners
- DOC protection and restoration programmes
Marine and freshwater
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Sciences (NIWA)
- DOC marine protection
- MPI fisheries overview
- MFE marine biodiversity
- MFE freshwater
- DOC freshwater
Non-government organisations and networks
- Fish and Game
- Forest and Bird
- Greenpeace NZ
- WWF NZ
- DOC's regional and national partners
- Conservation groups on Nature Space
- Botanical societies in New Zealand
- Federation of Māori Authorities Inc.
- Te Kāhui Māngai directory of iwi and Māori organisations
- Te Ohu Kaimoana – Maori Fisheries Trust
Research organisations, universities, and museums
- Landcare Research
- Plant and Food Research
- New Zealand universities
- New Zealand museums