IntroductionA permit is required by anyone using a rifle, bow or dog to hunt on land managed by DOC.
You need to take a valid hunting permit with you at all times to legally hunt on land managed by DOC.
All blocks in the Greenstone/Caples Recreational Hunting Area (RHA) are restricted permit blocks issued by way of two ballot draws. Each year these ballots cover:
- April to May each year, and
- June to September.
A restricted permit means:
- the permit is issued for a specific hunting block only, and
- you need to request the permit from your local DOC office.
Restricted permits are also issued for gamebird, rabbit, hare and possum hunting with rimfire rifles, shotguns and .22s, and for animal fur trapping.
How to apply
June to September 2023 ballot
Applications closed 11:59 pm, 28 February 2023.
The draw will take place in March 2023 and party leaders will be advised of the results by the end of April 2023.
Before applying you need to know:
- full name, address and phone number for each member of your party
- your preferred hunting blocks in order of preference from 1–5
- preferred month
- the email address of the party leader.
Only one application per party is permitted. Individual hunters should not apply on more than one ballot form – any hunter found on more than one form will have all applications removed from the ballot.
A maximum of four hunters are permitted per block; any parties with fewer than four members will have the remaining places allocated to another party.
April to May 2024 ballot
Applications for this ballot open online on 1 November 2023 and close on 30 November 2023.
Party leaders will be advised of the results late January 2024.
It is your responsibility to:
- find out about pesticide use in the area you are hunting in before your trip
- comply in full with the conditions under which the hunting permit is issued
- comply with each area’s special conditions for hunting and the use of dogs
- get permission from any private landowners before you cross their land
- ensure you do not hunt on restricted hunting areas unless you have received separate consent from the relevant DOC issuing office
- carry a hunting permit with you whenever you go hunting on land managed by DOC.