You need to take a valid hunting permit with you at all times to legally hunt on land managed by DOC.
All blocks in the Greenstone/Caples Recreational Hunting Area (RHA) are restricted permit blocks issued by way of two ballot draws. Each year these ballots cover:
- April to May each year, and
- June to September.
A restricted permit means:
- the permit is issued for a specific hunting block only, and
- you need to request the permit from your local DOC office.
Restricted permits are also issued for gamebird, rabbit, hare and possum hunting with rimfire rifles, shotguns and .22s, and for animal fur trapping.
How to apply
June to September 2021 ballot
Applications were open from 1 February to 11:59 pm 28 February.
The draw will take place under police supervision in March and party leaders advised of the results by the end of March.
Before applying you need to know:
- full name, address, phone number and firearms licence number for each member of your party
- your preferred hunting blocks in order of preference from 1–5
- preferred month
- the email address of party leader.
April to May 2022 ballot
Applications open from 1 November 2021 until 11:59 pm on 30 November 2021.
The draw will take place in December under police supervision and party leaders advised of the results by late January 2022.
It is your responsibility to:
- find out about pesticide use in the area you are hunting in before your trip
- comply in full with the conditions under which the hunting permit is issued
- comply with each area’s special conditions for hunting and the use of dogs
- get permission from any private landowners before you cross their land
- ensure you do not hunt on restricted hunting areas unless you have received separate consent from the relevant DOC issuing office
- carry a hunting permit with you whenever you go hunting on land managed by DOC.