Moeraki River, seen from the Haast Paringa Track
Image: Ian Harrison | ©

Introduction

This track was built in 1875 by farmers at Haast. Stock were driven from the Landsborough and Cascade valleys to sale yards at Whataroa, a two-week journey at best. It’s now a three-day tramp.

Walking and tramping

3 days Advanced: Tramping track

Dog access

Dogs with a DOC permit only. Contact the relevant DOC office to obtain a permit.

Contacts

Awarua / Haast Visitor Centre
Phone:   +64 3 750 0809
Fax:   -
Email:   haastvc@doc.govt.nz
Address:   Haast Junction
Corner SH6 and Jackson Bay Road
Haast
South Westland
Postal Address:   PO Box 50
Haast 7844
Back to top