Catchpool Valley & Ōrongorongo Valley
Located in Remutaka Forest Park in the Wellington/Kapiti region
IntroductionCatchpool Valley is the most popular entrance to Remutaka Forest Park. It includes Ōrongorongo Valley and its booked huts with walks for all ages and fitness levels.
- Picnic areas – both open and secluded spots along Catchpool Road.
- Campground with toilets, showers, and gas barbecues.
- Catchpool Centre which is bookable, has toilets, and a 24-hour emergency telephone.
Find things to do and places to stay Catchpool Valley & Ōrongorongo Valley
Access to the Cattle Ridge road and Mid Slope road is now available during normal park opening hours.
Opening hours: 8am - 8pm daily
- For a guide to open tracks refer to yellow highlighted route/s on the map.
- Horse riding is not permitted anywhere else in the Park.
Follow health and safety rules and guidelines
- It is recommended that high visibility clothing is worn at all times while in the area.
- Be aware, as walkers, vehicles, mountain bikers and other users may be on the logging roads at the same time as you.
Tracks marked in yellow are open for horse and mountain bike riding.
Catchpool valley is 12 km south of Wainuiomata. Follow the Coast Road for 10 km to the Remutaka Forest Park entrance, then follow the Catchpool valley road for 2 km to the car park and information area.
If the water is flowing over the ford on the road, park before the ford and use the Nga Taonga Nature Walk to reach the car park.
The gate to Catchpool valley is open:
- 6 am – 8 pm from 28 September until 7 April
- 6 am – 6 pm from 8 April until 27 September
- Portable generators are excluded from the park.
- Fires may not be lit in Catchpool Valley.
- There is mobile phone reception.
- Always take warm, waterproof clothing, food and drink, even on short walks.
Check the weather forecast – the weather in the Remutaka Forest Park can change rapidly.
The Ōrongorongo River rises quickly and can take several days to drop to a level that is safe to cross.
Let someone know before you go
Before you go into the Ōrongorongo valley, advise someone:
- where you are going
- when you are returning
- what they should do if you fail to meet your deadline, and
- who they should contact such as employer and so on. For example, if you get delayed in a hut by bad weather or flooded river.
|Kapiti Wellington Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 4 384 7770|
18 - 32 Manners Street
PO Box 10420
|Full office details|