IntroductionSited beside the Putangirua Stream with views of Cook Strait and a pebbly beach across the road. Walk from here to the impressive Putangirua Pinnacles, or drive to the seal colony near Cape Palliser lighthouse.
- Fire pit/place for campfires (except in fire bans)
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - flush
- Water from stream
- Walking and tramping
Fires permitted in designated fire places and only if there is no fire ban. Check rules and fire bans before you light.
There is tap water available but it is not safe for drinking. Water is not always available, so take your own.
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Child (5–17 years): $5 per night
- Infant (0–4 years): free
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
The campsite is located halfway between Cape Palliser and Lake Ferry. 58 km south of Martinborough via Lake Ferry Rd, turn on to Cape Palliser Road and continue for approximately 13 km.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1785772, N5408882
Latitude: -41.45015607, Longitude: 175.22403217
Address: 1341 Cape Palliser Road, Featherston 5772
Permission to have a campfire at this site is determined by the Wairarapa Rural Fire District fire season status. Check the current status.
- Campfires are allowed during open season.
- A permit is required during a restricted season.
- Campfires are banned during a prohibited season.
- Extreme care must be taken with camp fires.