Located in Mount Aspiring National Park in the Otago region
IntroductionThis marked track traverses moraine through beech forest from Lake Sylvan.
- 2–3 hr to Lake Sylvan-Rockburn shelter
- 6–8 hr Rockburn shelter to Routeburn car park
The marked track traverses moraine through beech forest from Lake Sylvan. The Rockburn shelter is nestled in the forest, with a chasm, river beaches and pools closeby. Climb through forest to the fragile Sugarloaf Saddle where there are great views of the Rockburn and Routeburn Valleys. The descent to the Routeburn Track is steep.
You can start this walk at either end by starting at the Routeburn car park or from the Lake Sylvan track which connects to this track.
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
|Whakatipu-wai-Māori / Queenstown Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 442 7935|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
50 Stanley Street
PO Box 811
|Full office details|