- Lighting by candle
- Cold tap water
- Composting toilet
- Platform bunks
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Youth (5–17 years): $12.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0–4 years): free
Hut tickets cannot be used at this hut.
Backcountry Hut Passes can be used in this hut. Passes can be used unlimited for a 6 or 12 month period for most Serviced and Standard huts.
Bookings are required all year.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your hut booking is for any bunk bed, not for a specific bunk bed – select your bunk bed on arrival.
For booking enquiries contact Kauaeranga Visitor Centre.
Access to the island is by boat only.
The hut is in Waiiti Bay on Motukawanui Island.
NZTopo50 map sheet: AV29
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1685593, N6125770
- Camping is not permitted due to the risk of fire, which poses a huge threat to the kiwi population and other wildlife on the island. Toilet waste from campers may pollute waterways or damage archaeological sites.
- Wai-iti Bay is sheltered with a sandy beach suitable for swimming and snorkelling as well as the safe beaching of dinghies and kayaks.
- No dogs.
- The hut is locked. You will receive instructions on getting the access code in your booking confirmation letter.
The weather can change rather quickly in the channel crossing over to the island, so it is advisable to consider this when preparing to cross, ensuring also that all safety procedures are met. Read the Maritime Safety leaflet.
Help stop kauri disease
- Stay away from kauri tree roots.
- Clean your footwear and gear before and after visiting kauri forest.