IntroductionThis hut is great as a half day walk or as an overnight tramp for families with children or new trampers.
The access road into the Mount Arthur area (Graham Valley Road) is steep and narrow and prone to corrugations and slips – check any alerts for road status. During the winter months a 4WD vehicle is recommended to access Flora carpark. Chains may be needed if snow and ice are present
Easy walk from road end
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Mt Arthur Hut sits on the bushline at approx. 1,300 m. Enjoy views over Wharepapa/Arthur Range and Tasman Bay a short distance from the hut. Watch out for curious weka around the hut.
- Bunks - platform (shared) bunks with mattresses
- Water supply - cold water from a rain collection tank
- Heating - woodburner with firewood supplied (use firewood sparingly as it's only restocked once or twice each year)
- Long drop toilet a short walk from the hut
- Sleeping bag
- Cooking stove, pots/pans and utensils
- Toilet paper
- Rubbish bag
- Newspaper/firelighters and matches/lighter for the wood burner/fire
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Child/youth (5–17 years): $12.50 per night
- Infant (0–4 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green) or 1 Serviced Youth Hut Tickets (red) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass for unlimited use at most Serviced and Standard huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Times and distances from nearest road end and huts
- Flora car park: 1 hr 30 min
Flora car park is 75 km from Nelson and 36 km from Motueka.
The Motueka Valley Highway links Nelson and Motueka. Turn off this road at Ngātīmoti and cross the Motueka River. Turn left onto Motueka River West Bank Road, then right into Graham Valley Road, which climbs steeply to the car park. The last 5.8 km is unsealed and turning a vehicle on the road can be difficult. 4WD is recommended at all times of the year.
Tracks to this hut
Flora Hut and Mount Arthur Hut tracksLocated in Kahurangi National Park and Mount Arthur areaWalk through beech forest to one of two huts, or combine the tracks for a circuit walk - a great day walk or overnight tramp for families with kids.1 alertDuration various times under 4 hrDifficulty Easy, Advanced
Ellis Basin RouteLocated in Kahurangi National Park and Mount Arthur areaEnjoy extensive views of the Ellis Basin and the surrounding mountains on this track to Ellis Hut.Duration 2 daysDifficulty Expert
NZTopo50 map sheet: BQ24
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1576023, N5439296