An ideal base for schools, youth and educational groups, to enhance learning about the natural environment.
There are education resources available, a nature study trail nearby and plenty of beach, estuary and bush walks.
The centre is available to other groups when not in use by schools. It is an ideal venue for sports groups, family reunions and celebrations.
The education centre consists of two buildings: an amenities block and the Ngarata Homestead.
- Sleeps 40 people in 7 bunkrooms of various sizes.
- Mattresses are provided.
- Has a workroom, lounge and two toilets.
- Heating is by wood fires. Firewood is provided.
- Connected to the Totaranui filtered water supply.
- Has a sprinkler fire alarm system.
- Contains a dining room, toilets and showers, pantry, drying room and kitchen.
- Heating is provided by a log burner, firewood is provided.
- The kitchen is well equipped with two commercial stoves, a coal range, microwave, two fridges and a freezer.
- Cooking utensils are supplied, including pots and pans.
- A gas barbecue with gas is also available.
- Crockery and cutlery is available.
- As Totaranui has a 2025 goal of zero waste, all rubbish, including recycling must be taken out with you. We operate a Bokashi composting system which we encourage you to use.
It is the groups' responsibility to leave the homestead clean and tidy.
Two public telephones are located at the Totaranui camp office. There is limited mobile coverage.
The centre is located at Totaranui Campground in the heart of the Abel Tasman National Park.
Totaranui is a 32 km drive east of Takaka of which 12 km is on unsealed road.
The gate at the camp entrance is locked overnight.
- 1 October - 31 March opening times: 7:30 am to 8:30 pm
- 1 April - 30 September opening times: 7:30 am to 6:30 pm
There are daily water taxi services from Marahau and Kaiteriteri (approx 1–2 hours) and a bus service operates in summer.
- Bush, native birds, estuary and beach studies.
- Glow worms, night walks.
- History study.
- Bush/survival skills.
- Swimming and kayaking - the estuary and beach provide opportunities suitable for all ages.
Know before you go
Totaranui is in Abel Tasman National Park and is subject to its regulations. Additional rules apply to the homestead and campground. These are displayed on-site and are available on request.
On arrival and departure all groups will be checked in/checked out by the DOC Ranger. Totaranui Campground is staffed all year round.