Image: Chris Louth | Creative Commons
Huts on the Abel Tasman Coast Track don't have gas cooking facilities and lighting. Remember to take a portable stove and fuel, and candles with you.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BN25
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1597715, N5484678
1 October - 30 April:
New Zealand citizens and those ordinarily resident in New Zealand*:
1 May - 30 September:
* New Zealand rates:
Book online or contact Whakatū/Nelson Visitor Centre for more information.
Built around 1896, this historic hut was restored in 1980 by the Abel Tasman Park Board. They made significant modifications and it is now available as a tramping hut.
Originally created as a farmhouse, Whariwharangi Hut was built by John Handcock who lived in the valley with his family for 15 years.
Whariwharangi was last inhabited in 1926, but farmed until 1972. During this later period the homestead served as a stockmans hut. The farms in this northern end of the Park, although the last to be retired, eventually succumbed to the impoverished granite soils.
Historic themes are pastoralism and farming. Many farms in this area had to be abandoned, and this is a notable reminder of that era and changing land use.
The fabric is significant as it is a pleasing example of a small one and a half storey farmhouse.
A conventional timber framed one and a half storey building, rectangular in plan. The gable roof is clad in corrugated iron, and the exterior walls are weather-board. It has a full-length veranda on the front, a full-length lean-to along the rear, and two brick chimneys; windows are double hung.
The ground floor has a central passage with a bunkroom and storage room on one side and a large main room on the other. Upstairs there are two smaller bunkrooms. There are 20 bunks in total. The interior of the hut has many original features including a built-in staircase and timber wall panelling.
The hut will be maintained to protect its historic fabric and minimise deterioration. A conservation plan has been prepared to guide its management.
|Whakatū / Nelson Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 546 9339|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Millers Acre/Taha o te Awa
79 Trafalgar Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|
|Motueka i-SITE Visitor Information Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 528 6543|
20 Wallace Street
|Full office details|