Pelorus Bridge (Kahikatea Flat) Campground
Located in Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve in the Marlborough region
IntroductionCamp on the banks of the Te Hoiere/Pelorus River amongst towering kahikatea, beech and rimu trees. Walk, swim, fish, kayak, relax.
- Rivers and lakes
- Cookers/electric stove
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Powered sites
- Shelter for cooking
- Shower - hot
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - treated, suitable for drinking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Kayaking and canoeing
- Walking and tramping
- 27 December – 4 January: Minimum 3 night stay.
- 27 December – 11 January: Minimum fee per site is 2 adults regardless of age.
Fires are not permitted at any time. See fire rules on conservation land.
Facilities and services
- Hot showers for campers only
- Wheelchair accessible kitchen, shower and toilet block.
- Communal kitchen with gas stoves. Bring your own chilly bin, BBQ, pots, pans, crockery and cutlery.
- Clothes washer and dryer.
- Public card phone onsite. Mobile phone coverage highly variable.
- Cafe and shop onsite open daily for coffee, homemade pies and baking, ice creams, ice, milk and bread and some camping essentials.
These maps detail specific parts of the campground:
9 February to 25 December
- Adult (18+ years): $20 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $10 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
26 December to 8 February
- Adult (18+ years): $22 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $11 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite except between 26 December to 8 February inclusive.
Campsite Pass bookings must be booked online before occupying a site. If you do not pre-book, bookings may be made by campground staff (if present) and will incur a $10 service charge.
Pelorus Bridge (Kahikatea Flat) Campground does not have the $3 fee for Campsite Pass users booking powered sites.
Bookings are open for stays up to 30 June 2023.
Bookings for 1 July 2023 – 30 June 2024 will open in 2023. The opening date will be announced on this page in late March 2023.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
Bookings are required all year. Book well in advance for the peak period from 1 December - 28 February and for public holiday weekends.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Email bookings are not available for this campsite.
A minimum 3-night stay applies 27 December to 4 January. A minimum site charge of 2 adults applies from 27 December to 11 January.
5949 State Highway 6.
The camp office for check-in's is located beside the cafe. Next to the cafe is a short, unsealed, well-formed, narrow road to the campsite.
Where it is from Nelson and Blenheim
On SH6, 54 km from Nelson and 60 km from Blenheim.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1647698, N5427996
We aim to provide a traditional New Zealand camping experience. Te ensure you and other campers enjoy your stay, be considerate of others and be aware of the rules below.
- All campers must report to the office on arrival.
- Site allocation as per you booking and at the discretion of the camp managers.
- No pets, (cats, dogs, birds).
- Office hours 8:00 am to 8:00 pm from Labour Weekend to Easter, and to 6:00 pm between Easter and Labour Weekend. If you plan to arrive outside these hours you must contact the office first.
- All groups must include a responsible adult 18 years or over.
- All caravans and campervans that require power must have a current Electrical Warrant of Fitness (WOF) which will be checked on arrival. If your Electrical WOF is not current you won’t be allowed to connect to power.
- No fires, chainsaws, generators or compressors under any circumstance.
- Unacceptable conduct (eg, nudity, violence, excessive noise) and/or behavior deemed to be publicly offensive will result in immediate removal of those concerned with no refund given.
- Music players must be used with headphones or played at a level not audible to the neighbouring campsite.
- The camp is expected to be quiet between 9:30 pm and 6:30 am.
- Vehicles and trailers must not be left on adjoining sites. A $25 fee will be charged if trailers or vehicles need to be removed.
- Day visitors must leave their vehicles in the car park by the café and walk to the campground.
- In periods of heavy rainfall the campsite is prone to flooding and you may be asked to evacuate. A flood warning system is in place.
If you plan to enjoy the water, learn how to stay safe when swimming, boating and fishing.
For general enquiries only, bookings can only be made online or with the Nelson Visitor Centre. Booking through the visitor centre has a $10 fee.
Pelorus Bridge Campground
Phone: +64 3 571 6019
Walking and tramping
Several short walks start from the campsite: Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve walking tracks
|Whakatū / Nelson Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 546 9339|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Millers Acre/Taha o te Awa
79 Trafalgar Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|