Matai Bay Hut is nestled in native bush and provides a great base for fishing, hunting, sea kayaking and swimming. Hunters must have a permit and this can be obtained online or arranged with any DOC Office or Visitor Centre in Nelson/Marlborough.
- Woodstove for heating only - you need to take your own cooker, cooking equipment and utensils
- The water supply is the freshwater stream next to the hut. We recommend that water is boiled, filtered or treated before using it
- Long-drop toilet close to the hut
The nearest DOC campsite is at Tawa Bay, 3 km north of the hut.
Enjoy the view from Matai Bay Hut
Matai Bay Hut interior
Matai Bay Hut
Godsiff (Matai) Bay, Tennyson Inlet, Pelorus Sound. The hut can only be accessed by boat to the shallow stone beach where it is sited.
The nearest boat launching ramps are in Duncan, Penzance and Elaine Bays. You must pay your launching fees as the facilities are managed by the local boat club. There is a mooring in the bay available for hut uses only. Although this is a registered mooring, hut users acknowledge that they use this mooring at their own risk in all respects.
If you sea kayak, remember to leave your kayak well above the high tide mark which can come very close to the hut.
Water transport can be arranged with operators in Havelock.
On receipt of payment a confirmation email will be sent to you.
$36.00 per night for up to 6 people.
On receipt of payment a confirmation email guaranteeing sole occupancy will be sent to you.
- DOC Hut Passes and hut tickets are not valid at Matai Bay Hut.
- Maximum stay of 4 nights except by prior arrangement.
Matai Bay hut is managed and maintained by the Matai Bay Hut Trust Incorporated on behalf of DOC.
You must book this hut.
Contact Linda Booth or Beryl Archer from the Matai Bay Hut Trust to make your booking.
Phone: +64 3 576 5570
Phone: +64 3 576 5292