Top Maropea Hut
Image: Craig Harrison | DOC
Facilities and services
Top Maropea hut is an historic hut typical of the style built by bush carpenters in the New Zealand Forest Service (NZFS). It was built before hut construction was standardised and as such, this hut has its own little peculiarities. From the original hut log book we have learned how the hut was sited and constructed.
A hut was first proposed for this area in 1956. The site was chosen by NZFS field officers Evan Meredith and Des Torrance who travelled around the head of Gold Creek and Armstrong Saddle looking for a general location for the hut.
In early 1958 a tent site was set up and 14 loads of materials were parachuted in by fixed wing airplane. Unfortunately the iron for the chimney was never recovered.
The hut was built in February 1958 by Jan van de Lagemaat, Des Torrance and Bob Norton, and took a week to complete.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BK36
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1870396, N5592433
|Te Papaioea / Palmerston North Office|
|Phone:||+64 6 350 9700|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
28 North Street
Palmerston North 4410
Private Bag 11010
Manawatu Mail Centre
Palmerston North 4442
|Full office details|