Bookings not required - first come, first served
Happy Daze was originally built by Stacker Johnston in January 1958 as a private recreational hut. The area the hut inhabits was known as Māori Flat due to the former presence of a pā site there. The land was purchased by the crown in the 1960s.
Walk time: 2 hr, or 5–6 hr dependent on route taken
The easiest access departs from Paget/Ellison Road on the true left of the Makaretu River and requires permission from two landowners. Follow the farm track through farm paddocks before dropping into the river before entering the forestry block. Walk up the river for several hundred meters and ascend a steep farm track on the true right. From here follow the farm track that sidles above the river past an old tractor and some private huts. Cross over the Makaretu River and orange triangles lead through scrub for the final part of the journey.
To obtain landowner contact details, contact the DOC Te Papaiōea / Palmerston North Office.
The hut can also be accessed via the Makaretu River from Kashmir Roadend or Makaretu Road. Access across public land is available by walking downstream from Makaretu or Awatere Huts. An access track leaves the river at the junction of the North and South Makaretu Rivers, climbing steeply before sidling through to Happy Daze Hut.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BL36
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1868201, N5567818