The Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre is located at Whakapapa Village, the main gateway into Tongariro National Park – New Zealand’s first national park and dual world heritage area.
The centre was first established in the 1960s and was redeveloped in 2001.
8 am – 4:30 pm daily
Closed Christmas day (25 December).
Information and services you can find here
- hiking track information and current conditions
- weather, ski field, and avalanche reports
- exhibits on the volcanoes, māori mythology, flora and fauna
- a 3D model of the national park
- audio-visual displays
- quality merchandise including books, postcards, clothing and gifts
- hut tickets and Great Walk reservations
- topographical maps and brochures
- dog control and hunting permits
- 24 hour access foyer with weather and track information.