The Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre (historically known as Whakapapa Visitor Centre) is located at Whakapapa Village, the main gateway into Tongariro National Park - New Zealand’s first national park and dual world heritage area.
The centre was first established in the 1960s and was redeveloped in 2001.
- Labour weekend to April: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm daily (closed Christmas Day)
- May to the Friday before Labour weekend: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm daily
Labour weekend is the last weekend in October.
Information and services you can find here
- hiking track information and current conditions
- weather, ski field, and avalanche reports
- exhibits on the volcanoes, maori mythology, flora and fauna
- a 3D model of the national park
- audio-visual displays
- quality merchandise including books, postcards, clothing and gifts
- hut tickets and Great Walk reservations
- topographical maps and brochures
- hunting permits
- 24 hour access foyer with public telephone, weather and track information