IntroductionThis popular site makes a good base for hunting, tramping, walking and mountain biking with a variety of tracks close by.
- Fire pit/place for campfires (except in fire bans)
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from stream
- Four wheel driving
- Mountain biking
- Walking and tramping
Fires permitted in designated fire places and only if there is no fire ban. Check rules and fire bans before you light.
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
- Turn off SH1 onto Kaimanawa Road 17 km south of Tūrangi.
- Travel 3.5 km to the junction.
- Turn right onto the Urchin Campsite road.
- Follow this road past to Urchin Campsite.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1843946-N5662358
Latitude: -39.15418315, Longitude: 175.82306576
There is no water at this campsite. Bring your own, or get water 150 m from the campsite down the Tree Trunk Gorge Track.
No horses allowed at this campsite.
Mountain bike the Tree Trunk Gorge tracks.
Hunt, tramp or 4WD.