IntroductionThis popular site makes a good base for hunting, tramping, walking and mountain biking with a variety of tracks close by.
- Fire pit/place for campfires (except in fire bans)
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from stream
- Four wheel driving
- Mountain biking
- Walking and tramping
Fires permitted in designated fire places and only if there is no fire ban. Check rules and fire bans before you light.
- Turn off SH1 onto Kaimanawa Road 17 km south of Tūrangi.
- Travel 3.5 km to the junction.
- Turn right onto the Urchin Campsite road.
- Follow this road past to Urchin Campsite.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1843946-N5662358
Latitude: -39.15418315, Longitude: 175.82306576
There is no water at this campsite. Bring your own, or get water 150 m from the campsite down the Tree Trunk Gorge Track.
No horses allowed at this campsite.
Mountain bike the Tree Trunk Gorge tracks.
Hunt, tramp or 4WD.