Located in St James Conservation Area in the Canterbury region
IntroductionFor young families or riders with insufficient time or experience to attempt the full St James Cycle Trail, the Homestead Run will give you a taste of St James.
15 km loop
St James Homestead to Peters-Edwards track junction
Walking time: 2 hr 30 min
Distance: 7 km
From the St James Homestead, head up the valley to Peters Pass where a great picnic spot overlooks Waterfall Stream. Follow the trail until it intersects with the Edwards valley 4WD track.
Peters-Edwards track junction to Tophouse Road
Walking time: 1 hr 30 min
Distance: 4.2 km
Head east (right) down the 4WD track to connect with Tophouse Road.
Tophouse Road to St James Homestead
Walking time: 1 hr
Distance: 3.4 km
From Hanmer Springs take Clarence Valley Road over Jacks Pass to connect with Tophouse Road (about 13 km from Hanmer Springs). This road follows the eastern boundary of St James Conservation Area.
While access into St James is relatively easy, this remains a remote backcountry area. There is no cell phone coverage. Before your trip ensure you have:
- Checked the latest forecast
- Left your intentions with someone
- A PLB (personal locator beacon) or mountain radio
- Enough warm clothing to spend the night out if you have to.
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
|Arthur's Pass National Park Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 318 9211|
104 West Coast Road
PO Box 51008
Arthur's Pass 7654
|Full office details|