Fowlers Pass Track
Located in St James Conservation Area in the Canterbury region
IntroductionFowlers Pass (1296 m) connects Fowlers Hut on Tophouse Road with Stanley Vale and Lake Guyon huts in the St James Conservation Area.
- Horse riding
Fowlers Pass (1296 m) connects Fowlers Hut on Tophouse Road with Stanley Vale and Lake Guyon huts, St James Conservation Area. It also links to the St James Cycle Trail.
This marked track has river crossings, scree slopes and a variety of gradients. Note that particuarly in winter, snow can make travel difficult and the area is prone to avalanches.
Fowlers Hut to Stanley Vale Hut
Time: 4 hr
Distance: 12 km
Stanley Vale Hut
Stanley Vale Hut to Lake Guyon Hut
Time: 1 hr 30 min
Distance: 4 km
Fowlers Hut is on Tophouse Road.
From Hanmer Springs take Clarence Valley Road over Jacks Pass to connect with Tophouse Road (about 13 km from Hanmer Springs). This road follows the eastern boundary of St James Conservation Area.
While access into St James is relatively easy, this remains a remote backcountry area. There is no cell phone coverage. Before your trip ensure you have:
- Checked the latest forecast
- Left your intentions with someone
- A PLB (personal locator beacon) or mountain radio
- Enough warm clothing to spend the night out if you have to.
Avalanches can occur every year when there is snow in the mountains. Most occur during winter storms or in spring/early summer when warmer temperatures or rain make the snow unstable. Even if you can not see snow from the track there may be enough snow out of sight on upper slopes to form an avalanche that could reach the track.
Fowlers Pass Track is challenging avalanche terrain.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BT24
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
|Arthur's Pass National Park Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 318 9211|
104 West Coast Road
PO Box 51008
Arthur's Pass 7654
|Full office details|