About this hut
Woolshed Hut is set in tussock country amongst rocky outcrops/formations and next to Woolshed Creek. Climb the small hills nearby for views of the surrounding area, play in the creek, or walk to the water caves (20 minutes) or Emerald Pool (10 minutes).
- Bunks - platform (shared) bunks with mattresses
- Water supply – cold water from a rain collection tank
- Heating – wood burner with firewood provided
- Long drop toilet a short walk from the hut
- Space for camping outside the hut
- Volunteer hut warden from October–April and long weekends.
Huts have basic facilities. You'll need to take:
- Sleeping bag
- Cooking stove, pots/pans and utensils
- Toilet paper
- Rubbish bag
- Newspaper/firelighters and matches/lighter for the wood burner/fire
Times from nearest road end and hut
Woolshed Creek Hut is on the Mount Somers Track. It can be accessed from:
- Jig Road: 2–3 hr. Miners Track is the easiest way to reach the hut, Rhyolite Ridge Track is more challenging but provides for a loop option. From Mount Somers township, follow Ashburton Gorge Road for approx. 10 km before turning right into Jig Road. Follow this to the carpark/toilet at the end.
- Pinnacles Hut: 3 hr
NZTopo50 map sheet: BX19
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1464886, N5171057
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $7.50 per night
- Child/Infant: (0 - 10 years): free
Pay at the time of booking.
Backcountry Hut Passes can be used at this hut. To pay with your Backcountry Hut Pass, create/update your account on our booking system. Under 'Apply for a discount', select 'Backcountry Hut Pass Holder' and upload a scan of your pass. Once we've verified your pass, it will automatically be applied when you make a booking.
Fees to camp at the hut
- Adult (18+ years): $5 per night
- Youth (11 - 17 years): $2.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0 - 10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass, which includes unlimited use of campsites at Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Read more about hut tickets and passes | Find retailers that sell hut tickets
Bookings are open for stays from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021.
Bookings for the hut are required all year. Bookings are not required to camp at the hut.
Book Woolshed Creek Hut online
A $10 service fee applies to all phone, email and in-person bookings.
Your hut booking is for any bunk bed, not for a specific bunk bed – select your bunk bed on arrival.
Know before you go
- Secure your vehicle at the carparks and do not leave any valuables in them.
- Hut wardens may be present at the hut.