Every year from October to April.
Volunteer for one week or more at any of these campsites:
- Peel Forest (Serviced, powered site)
- Orari (Standard campsite)
- Waihi Gorge (Standard campsite)
- Pioneer Park (Standard campsite)
- Mt Nimrod (Standard campsite)
- Otaio Gorge (Standard campsite)
The primary role of a camp host is to help visitors enjoy their stay in the right way. This is achieved by:
- checking that campers have paid camp fees and taking payment via a mobile eftpos machine when necessary
- providing information to campers
- monitoring cleanliness of the camp – daily cleaning of toilets and replenishing toilet paper when needed
- reporting maintenance requirements to DOC staf
What to expect
Accommodation: Applicants must have their own campervan, caravan or motorhome.
- be able to relate to a range of people in a friendly manner
- be fluent in English
- have a practical outlook
- some experience relevant to this opportunity preferred but not essential.
Age: Applicants must be aged 20 years or over.
Dogs: Are not permitted at Peel Forest, Orari, Waihi Gorge, Mt Nimrod and Otaio Gorge campsites. Dogs are allowed at Pioneer Park campsite but must be kept under control at all times.
Nearest facilities: Our campsites are within a 30 minute drive to either Geraldine or Timaru.
What will be provided
- Campsite for your campervan, caravan or motorhome
- DOC camp host identification, high viz vest, uniform, etc.
- Eftpos machine for taking payment.
- Cleaning equipment, gloves, paper overalls etc.
How to apply
Complete the online application form.
We'll review applications and assign weeks as they come in and space is available.
Chris Dyson, Supervisor Recreation/Historic
Phone: +64 3 693 1074