IntroductionCamp at a scenic reserve beside forest; swim in the Otaio River.
- Rivers and lakes
- Fire pit/place for campfires (except in fire bans)
- Non-powered/tent sites
- Toilets - flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Child (5–17 years): $5 per
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Pay online at the time of booking.
The DOC Campsite Pass can be used at this campsite.
Campsite Pass bookings must be booked online before occupying a site. If you do not pre-book, bookings may be made by campground staff (if present) and will incur a $10 service charge.
Bookings are open for stays up to 30 June 2023.
Bookings for 1 July 2023 – 30 June 2024 will open in 2023. The opening date will be announced on this page in late March 2023.
All bookings operate on a first-come first-served basis. We do not operate waiting lists for bookings for future seasons, or currently booked-out facilities.
Bookings are required all year.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your booking will be for a site, which will be allocated or selected on arrival.
- From Timaru follow SH1 to St Andrews.
- Turn right into Blue Cliffs Rd and follow for 19.5 km.
- Turn right into Back Line Rd – gravel road.
- Follow this road for 5 km.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1435460, N5067879
Latitude: -44.52356925, Longitude: 170.92863696
Swim in the Otaio River.
Otaio Gorge Track
A short 100 metre, 5 minute walking track, leads upstream from the campground and provides access to a scenic swimming hole.
You may also see the remnants of a historic water intake system along the riverbank.