Concession application by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
IntroductionHave your say on an application by Waka Kotahi for a concession for construction at Homer Tunnel. Submissions closed Monday 21 November 2022.
This application is notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987.
Applicant: Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
Location of Proposed Activity: Within SH94 and Fiordland National Park at east Homer Tunnel, adjacent to SH94.
Map Reference: Between approximate map references 44.73S, 167.97E
Summary of Proposal: The Minister of Conservation has received an application for a concession to construct a replacement avalanche and rockfall protection structure at the eastern portal of the Homer Tunnel within Fiordland National Park.
The application also seeks to authorise associated works, including excavation of material from the adjoining area to fill beside and over the new avalanche structure, associated earthworks, the construction of rip rap scour protection and the removal of the existing protection shelter
- Concession Application for Applicant 1a, 3b, 7a (PDF 47,623K) Note: this is a large file
- Draft – Erosion and sediment control plan (PDF, 9,359K)
Make a submission
Any person or organisation may make a submission in writing to the Director-General on the proposal.
Submissions closed on Monday 21 November 2022.
1. Prepare your submission
Record what you think in the submission form:
Once submitted, submitters' information is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and may be released under that Act. If you wish to keep any part of your submission confidential, you need to state this in writing when making your submission.
2. Send us your submission
Department of Conservation
Dunedin Service Centre
PO Box 5244
Attention: Sanjay Thakur, Senior Permissions Advisor
What happens next
After submissions close:
- DOC will analyse and consider all submissions.
- A hearing will be held if there have been requests to be heard by the Director-General If you have expressed an interest in presenting your submission at a hearing, you'll be contacted by DOC regarding this.
- DOC will analyse and consider information raised at the hearing if a hearing occurred.
- DOC will make a recommendation to the Minister of Conservation.
- The Minister of Conservation will make a decision on the application.
If a hearing is required, it is likely to occur on the week starting 5 December 2022.
No details at this point.
DOC comment regarding publicly notified applications
The Minister of Conservation has made no determination regarding the suitability of this proposed concession on public conservation land. This public notification should not be interpreted as an intention on the part of the Minister of Conservation to grant the proposed concession.
If you have a question about the application or the submission process, you can contact Sanjay Thakur: Senior Permissions Advisor.