To graze any animal on public conservation land you must have a concession from DOC.

Find out what concession you will need and how to apply for one below.

Pre-application meeting

Applying for a concession for the first time can be a little tricky. To ensure your application goes smoothly we offer a free pre-application meeting. We’ll also help you contact the local iwi to assess whether your proposed activity will have any cultural effects.

Type of concession

There is only one type of concession you are likely to need to graze your animals on public conservation land: Longer term concession – for grazing required in an area for a period of longer than three months.

Apply for your concession

Delays in processing

We currently have a backlog of applications. We're working hard to prioritise older and urgent applications. If you have any concerns contact

Identify the name and status of the public conservation land you wish to use by checking DOC maps.

We will invoice you once we have processed your application. The processing fee for a standard application is likely to be $2065 plus GST ($2374.75 including GST). If your application is assessed as complex, covers multiple regions, or includes more than 20 individual locations, this fee is likely to be higher. We will send you an estimate of costs once we have received your application.

Your application should be processed within 55 working days of receipt for simple applications. It can be up to 120 working days if a hearing is required.

If your application is approved we will send you a contract which you must sign and return before proceeding with your activity.


You will be required to pay ongoing concession fees and grazing activity fees.

Where the total grazing activity fee is expected to be greater than $17,000 pa, your fees will be generally be 7.5% of gross annual revenue. An independent valuation will be required. The grazing activity fees for the second and third year(s) of your concession will be increased by 2% annually. 

Where the total grazing activity fee is expected to be between $8,500 - $17,000, there a number of options on which your fee may be based, including:

  • value of the land
  • anticipated value of the crops being planted  
  • number of stock/ value of stock being grazed. 

Your fee will depend on a number of factors such as whether a land valuation is available and/or whether you plan to grow crops.

Contact us

For more information or assistance with your grazing concession contact the nearest of these DOC offices.

Viewing files on this page

If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. 

About our files

Back to top