Mimiwhangata Coastal Park is located about 48 km north-east of Whangarei.
From Whangarei, turn off SH 1 onto Russell Road. At Helena Bay turn south onto Webb Road, continue until you come to the Mimiwhangata Coastal Park turn off.
Access: From Teal Bay the road is gravel, narrow and winding. Steep 5 minute walk to campsite – all gear must be carried from the car park over the hill to the campground.
NZTM2000 coordinates: E1728006, N6077000
Latitude: -35.44244321, Longitude: 174.41204155
- Adult (18+ years): $13 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $6.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
Backcountry hut pass does not apply.
Enjoy kayaking, swimming and relaxing.
The swimming and diving are superb, and there are some good fishing spots, but check the Marine Park Fishing Regulations.
Walkways go through neighbouring farmland.
Mimiwhangata is also a great place for bird watching – it is home to a variety of shorebirds, the endangered brown teal and there are good numbers of kiwi in the surrounding forested areas.
Know before you go
- Gate access to the camp carpark is locked. The PIN number will be emailed 10 days prior to arrival.
- No campervan access.
- Campers must report to the resident Ranger.
- Sites are not individually marked but are limited to a maximum of 5 people per site.
- All rubbish must be removed – rubbish transfer station at Hikurangi 300 m from the turn-off.
- There are no boat launching facilities, however hand launching of dinghies is permitted from the car park.
- Northland reserve bylaws apply to Mimiwhangata Scenic Reserve.