Mimiwhangata Coastal Park is located on Northland's east coast about an hour drive from Whangarei (48 km) and from Russell (52 km).
Take the old Whangarei-Russell coastal road, turn-off at Helena Bay and continue on Webb Road. After Teal Bay the road is unsealed, narrow and winding, and unsuitable for towing caravans. Mimiwhangata Coastal Road is after the Ngahau Bay turn-off and is well signposted.
Know before you go
- Keep away from fenced off nesting areas, and watch where you walk. Sand dunes are fragile, as are many of the creatures that inhabit them.
- No cellphone coverage.
- No boat launching facilities – however, hand-launching of dinghies is permitted.
- No pets – including dogs, birds or cats.
- No fires are permitted within the Park.
- Remove all your rubbish.
- Northland reserve bylaws apply to Mimiwhangata Scenic Reserve.
- Read the Mimiwhangata Marine Park Regulations.