Molesworth roar applications for 2022
We will be running a booking system for 2022. All valid applications will be processed on a first-come first-served basis.
Applications open at 9:30 am on Wednesday 20 October 2021. See apply online on this page.
All applicants will receive email confirmation whether successful or unsuccessful.
What you need to know
- Only one hunting party can be present in each of the blocks for each period (see date periods).
- Blocks are allocated on a first in first served basis until all blocks are taken.
- One application per party only – a maximum of five hunters/non-hunters per party per block. No individual can be in more than one party/group for any period, or your party will be disqualified.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online application form – there will be no email bookings or paper application forms.
- There are 20 blocks available for the roar period on Molesworth Recreation Reserve.
- The overview hunting block map and all individual block maps are available online. (Refer to map links on this page).
- The application allows for three choices (combination of blocks and dates).
- Permits will be emailed out late January/February 2022.
- If you and your hunting party/group are unsuccessful you can apply again if blocks are available.
- One request only for name/vehicle changes is permitted for successful block bookings – submit as soon as possible. Changes submitted one week prior to roar permits being issued maybe denied.
- If you are successful, you must carry the permit while in Molesworth Recreation Reserve. If you are leaving a vehicle on the roadside, leave a copy of the permit visible on the dashboard. Vehicles may be left up to 50 m from the Acheron Rd.
The 2022 roar hunt for Molesworth will run for five weeks.
- Period 1: Wednesday 9 March to Tuesday 15 March 2022
- Period 2: Wednesday 16 March to Tuesday 22 March 2022
- Period 3: Wednesday 23 March to Tuesday 29 March 2022
- Period 4: Wednesday 30 March to Tuesday 5 April 2022
- Period 5: Wednesday 6 April to Tuesday 12 April 2022
There are 20 blocks available. Check the maps and access to the blocks before applying.
- 1 Bottom Acheron (PDF, 3,742K)
- 2 Bullen (PDF, 3,883K)
- 3 Bullock Gully (PDF, 3,789K)
- 4 Chimney (PDF, 3,918K)
- 5 Clarence Faces (PDF, 4,081K)
- 6 Dillon (PDF, 4,031K)
- 7 Dog Stream (PDF, 3,994K)
- 8 Elliot (PDF, 4,114K)
- 9 Five Mile (PDF, 3,952K)
- 10 Half Moon (PDF, 4,296K)
- 11 Lake McRae (PDF, 4,205K)
- 12 Lizard (PDF, 3,956K)
- 13 Long Gully (PDF, 3,908K)
- 14 Makuratawhai (PDF, 4,075K)
- 15 McGuires (PDF, 3,818K)
- 16 Pig Trough (PDF, 3,910K)
- 17 Sawnee (PDF, 3,312K)
- 18 Tweed (PDF, 4,002K)
- 19 Upper Acheron (PDF, 4,297K)
- 20 Yarra (PDF, 4,142K)
Applications are only accepted through the online application form. The form is available from 9.30 am Wednesday 20 October 2021.
You must use this roar online application form. It's different to the hunting application form for outside the roar period. We will not accept any roar applications using the incorrect form – you will be asked to resubmit using the correct form.
Before you apply
- Read the Molesworth hunting permit conditions.
- Check the Molesworth Station hunting page for seasonal restrictions, closures, and pest control operations in place.
- Make sure you have:
- names, (include full name as shown on firearms licence) for all your party
- address and contact details of all your party
- firearms licence number of each person in party
- your preferred blocks and know how to access that block
- your preferred dates
- vehicle details and travel intentions worked out.
- A maximum of five hunters/non-hunters are permitted per party per block.
- Individual hunters should not apply on more than one application form. If they do, they will have all applications removed and disqualified.
- Ensure your hunting party/group and all details are confirmed before submitting your application. Only one request for name/vehicle changes is permitted for successful block bookings.
- Each party member must be included on a permit (hunting or non-hunting) or they are in breach of the Molesworth hunting permit conditions.
- One request only for name/vehicle changes is permitted for successful block bookings, please submit as soon as possible. Changes submitted one week prior to Roar permits being issued maybe denied.
As blocks get booked or become available due to cancellations, we’ll update block availability via the website.
If your plans change, cancel your booking as there are no transfer to other blocks or dates. We know there will be plenty of demand to take up empty blocks.
Wairau / Renwick Office
Phone: +64 3 572 9100
Note all our calls are answered by the Nelson Visitor Centre. Enquiries relating to Molesworth hunting will be forwarded onto the Wairau/Renwick Office.