Molesworth roar block system
IntroductionFind out about the Molesworth roar block system for 2024.
Roar dates: Wednesday 6 March to Tuesday 9 April 2024.
Applications will open in October 2023. They will be processed on a first-come, first served basis.
The date and time for these applications to be submitted will be confirmed on this webpage in September 2023.
What you need to know
- Only one hunting party can be present in each of the blocks for each period (see date periods).
- Blocks are allocated on a first in first served basis until all blocks are taken.
- One application per party only – a maximum of six hunters and an additional two non-hunters per party per block. No individual can be in more than one party/group for any period, or your party will be disqualified.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online application form – there will be no email bookings or paper application forms.
- There are 20 blocks available for the roar period on Molesworth Recreation Reserve.
- The overview hunting block map and all individual block maps are available online: Molesworth hunting maps.
- The application allows for up to 16 choices (each block option can be checked for a vacancy in each of the four chosen time frames).
- Permits will be emailed out a fortnight before the hunting date.
- If you and your hunting party/group are unsuccessful you can apply again if blocks are available - this will be advised on our website.
- One request only for name/vehicle changes is permitted for successful block bookings – submit as soon as possible. Changes submitted one week prior to roar permits being issued maybe denied.
- If you are successful, you must carry the permit while in Molesworth Recreation Reserve. If you are leaving a vehicle on the roadside, leave a copy of the permit visible on the dashboard. Vehicles may be left up to 50 m from the Acheron Rd.
The 2024 roar hunt for Molesworth will run for five periods.
- Period 1: Wednesday 6 March to Tuesday 12 March 2024
- Period 2: Wednesday 13 March to Tuesday 19 March 2024
- Period 3: Wednesday 20 March to Tuesday 26 March 2024
- Period 4: Wednesday 27 March to Tuesday 2 April 2024
- Period 5: Wednesday 3 April to Monday 9 April, 7 pm 2024
There are 20 blocks available. Check the maps and access to the blocks before applying.
- Overview map – all Molesworth hunting blocks (PDF, 2,780K)
- 2022 1080 operation overlay map (PDF, 7,538K)
- Suggested access routes for Molesworth hunting blocks (PDF, 202K)
As blocks get booked or become available due to cancellations, we’ll update block availability via the website.
Molesworth hunting block availability calendars
If your plans change, cancel your booking as there are no transfer to other blocks or dates. We know there will be plenty of demand to take up empty blocks.
Wairau / Renwick Office
Phone: +64 3 572 9100
Our calls are answered by the Nelson Visitor Centre. Enquiries relating to Molesworth hunting will be forwarded onto the Wairau/Renwick Office.