The Backcountry Hut Pass is referred to as the Hut Pass, and the Backcountry Hut Ticket as the Hut Ticket. The Hut Pass/Hut Ticket holder is the person to whom the Backcountry Hut Pass/Ticket is issued.
- The Hut Pass is valid for 6 or 12 months from the date of issue and is only valid for the Hut Pass holder in whose name the Hut Pass was issued.
- The Hut Pass is not transferable, and is not valid until signed by the Hut Pass holder.
- The Hut Pass and Hut Ticket fees are not refundable.
- The holder of the Hut Pass or Hut Ticket is not entitled to exclusive access to a hut or any associated facilities or services.
- Hut Pass and Hut Ticket holders must comply with all laws, regulations and reasonable directions given by or on behalf of the Department of Conservation or any other lawful authority in respect of the use of huts and associated facilities or services.
- Hut Pass and Hut Ticket holders should observe the Leave No Trace principles.
- The Hut Pass and Hut Ticket is not valid for use at any vehicle accessible Conservation Campsite.
- Members of approved recreation associate organisations must produce proof of membership to purchase a reduced price Hut Pass.
- The Backcountry Hut Pass or Hut Tickets are not valid for use at the following huts:
Puketi Forest Hut, Puketi and Omahuta Forests
Motukawanui Hut, Motukawanui Island Scenic Reserve
Lane Cove Hut, Ranfurly Bay Scenic Reserve
Peach Cove Hut, Bream Head Scenic Reserve
Cape Brett Hut, Cape Brett Scenic Reserve
Kaiaraara Hut, Great Barrier Forest Stewardship Area
Mt Heale Hut, Great Barrier Forest Stewardship Area
Crosbies Hut, Coromandel Forest Park
Pinnacles Hut, Coromandel Forest Park
Sandy Bay Hut, Te Urewera
Orongorongo Valley sole occupancy huts (Papatahi Hut, Haurangi Hut, Tuere Lodge, Jans Hut, Raukawa Lodge, Boar Inn), Rimutaka Forest Park
Angelus Hut, Nelson Lakes National Park (from late November to 30 April plus Labour and Queen's Birthday weekends)
Welcome Flat Hut, Westland Tai Poutini National Park
Godley Hut, Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park
Esquilant Bivy Hut, Mt Aspiring National Park
Rod Donald Hut
Coast Road Cabin, Remutaka Forest Park
All accommodation on Matiu/Somes Island
Te Kopi Cottage, Te Kopi Homestead and Waikuku Lodge, Aorangi Forest Park
All Serviced Alpine huts
All Mt Aspiring and Westland Tai Poutini National Park NZAC huts
All private or club huts on DOC managed land
Most bookable huts
- The Backcountry Hut Pass or Hut Tickets are not valid for use at the Great Walk huts and campsites on:
Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk
Abel Tasman Coast Track
Tongariro Northern Circuit (October–May)
Routeburn Track (October–April)
Milford Track (October–April)
Kepler Track (October–April)
Paparoa Track (except Ces Clarke Hut)
- The Backcountry Hut Pass and Hut Tickets are invalid if tampered with.
- The terms and conditions of the Hut Pass and/or Hut Ticket, including the list of huts and campsites that are excluded, may be subject to change at any time and without prior notice. It is the responsibility of the holder of the Hut Pass and/or Hut Ticket to check the terms and conditions for any changes.