How to book and pay for a DOC campsite and use campsite passes for campervans.


Bookings are required for all Serviced campsites and for some Scenic and Standard campsites in peak season (usually 1 October – 30 April).

Where bookings are not required, campsites operate on a first come, first served basis.

Check individual campsites for the campsite category and how to book if required. 

Paying fees

DOC charges fees on the basis of the category of campsite.

See a comparison of campsite fees, or check individual campsite pages for the fees.

Where bookings are required, fees are paid at the time of booking.

Where bookings are not required, pay your fees at the self-registration stand at the campsite or to the camp warden when present. Put the correct fee in the envelope provided and place the receipt section of the envelope on your vehicle or tent. DOC rangers patrol camping areas and will check that fees have been paid.

Note, Backcountry Hut Passes can't be used at any drive-in or boat-in campsites.

Campsite passes

NZ Motor Caravan Association (NZMCA) members pass to use at designated campsites.

Back to top