Backcountry Hut Pass terms and conditions
IntroductionTerms and conditions for the DOC Backcountry Hut Pass.
A Backcountry Hut Pass gives access to most Serviced and Standard huts, as well as most campsites outside Serviced huts. Buy a Backcountry Hut Pass.
Updated March 2022
Backcountry Hut Pass purchases and use not meeting the following terms and conditions are treated as invalid and will be cancelled by the Department of Conservation.
By accepting these terms and conditions you are also accepting conditions and rules specific to the hut rules and will abide by the Hut Code of Conduct. These can be found at www.doc.govt.nz on the hut web page.
These terms and conditions are correct at time of publishing however DOC reserves the right to change these terms and conditions, including the huts that are excluded from the pass, at any time without prior notice.
In terms of this document:
Bookable: Backcountry huts on the DOC booking system that require advance booking to secure a bunk bed.
Hut: Accommodation containing bunk beds.
Bunk bed: An individual bunk bed or place on platform bunk.
DOC: The Department of Conservation.
Non-bookable: Refers to DOC backcountry huts which operate on a first come first served basis.
Pass: The DOC Backcountry Hut Pass.
Use: Making a booking or staying at a backcountry hut, whichever is the earliest, and using the pass as payment for the booking.
DOC agent: Contracted third-party managers or volunteer camp-hosts at select DOC campgrounds.
- The DOC Backcountry Hut Pass allows the person named on the pass to stay in a hut at DOC bookable (bookings required) or unbookable backcountry huts.
- Passes are for individuals only and a pass is required for each adult, child/youth intending to use the backcountry huts on the pass system.
- Passes are non-transferrable.
- Customers who are entitled to a discount may only apply that discount to their own pass, they may not purchase discounted passes on behalf of other people aged 18 years and over. Youth passes may be purchased in conjunction with a discounted adult pass.
- Passes purchased for others at less than the retail price will be deemed invalid and cancelled.
- All customers 18 years and over must create their own account, validate their entitlement to any discount and purchase their own passes.
- The pass does not give preference to stay at bookable backcountry huts. Where the hut is listed on the DOC website as bookable, pass holders must make a valid booking for the number of people and dates they wish to stay to secure a bunk.
- The backcountry hut pass does not give preference to staying at non bookable huts. Non-bookable backcountry huts operate on a first come first served basis with payment required by backcountry hut pass or hut tickets.
- All correspondence regarding the pass must be received from or will be sent to the email address listed on the account created to purchase the pass. Account holders can change details of their account online.
- Commercial and/or guided groups are not permitted to purchase, or use passes for their staff or customers unless authorised by a DOC concession. Click here for information and contact details to arrange a concession.
- DOC can revoke your Backcountry Hut Pass at any time if the conditions of purchase are not being met.
- Passes can only be used within the date range they are valid for and must be valid for the dates of the stay.
- No other discount/promotion code or pass can be used in conjunction with the Backcountry Hut Pass.
- The age categories below apply at the time of stay at DOC backcountry huts:
Adult: 18 years plus
Child/Youth: 5–17 years
Infant: 0–4 years
- Persons aged 14 years and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Additional passes can be purchased by the account holder on behalf of family members by suppling names and ages of those 17 years and under.
- Passes are valid for one year (365 nights) or six calendar months from the date nominated when purchasing.
- The nominated start date must be within 30 days of purchase.
- Backcountry Hut Passes can only be purchased through the DOC booking system or at DOC visitor centres and selected outlets.
- Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be retrospectively applied as payment to bookings already made.
- Passes are not valid at sites listed in the exclusion list.
- Where a hut is listed on the DOC website as bookable, Backcountry Hut Pass holders must make a valid booking for the number of people and dates they wish to stay.
- No speculative bookings are permitted.
- Only one hut can be booked per night.
- Children 14 years and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Passes can only be used to book huts in date range pass is valid for.
- Proof of booking, Backcountry Hut Passes and ID must be shown to DOC staff or their agents on request either on the track to or at the hut.
- Booked huts must be cancelled if pass holder is no longer intending to stay at the booked hut. Failure to cancel may lead to the Backcountry Hut Pass being revoked.
- The Backcountry Hut Pass does not give users preference to staying at non-bookable huts which operate on a first come, first served basis.
- On arrival at the hut, pass users will need to register by entering name and pass number in the hut book.
- Children 14 years and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Backcountry Hut Passes and ID must be shown to DOC staff or their agents on request either on the track to or at the hut.
Prices and payments
- All prices are in New Zealand dollars and include GST (Goods and Services Tax).
- Full payment is required at time of purchase.
- Accepted credit cards are Mastercard and Visa.
- Purchases of a Backcountry Hut Pass made online will automatically be charged to your credit card via the 3D secure payment network. Card and/or bank related security questions may need to be answered to complete the transaction.
- Card and security details are not held by DOC.
- Pass prices are reviewed regularly, are subject to change, and changes may not be notified in advance.
- Prices indicated at time of purchase within the pass booking system are final.
- Passes are non-refundable after 48 hours of purchase, or after a booking is made using the pass as payment or on or after first nominated date of use, whichever is the earliest.
- Booked huts must be cancelled if pass holder is no longer intending to stay at the booked hut.
- Passes cannot be modified after purchase.