About this campsite
Matiu/Somes Island Campsite is a small, low key site suitable for small groups and individuals. It is located in a sheep paddock surrounded by historical buildings. The historic ova transplant building from the maximum security quarantine station provides the campsite facilities.
A maximum of 12 campers in total are permitted to camp.
- Camp kitchen: Gas oven/ four burner hob, small dinning area and large fridge.
- Outside facilities: Picnic tables, compost bin. The island BBQ is also available for use.
- Power on the island is supplied by renewable resources - wind turbine and solar panels.
- There are no phones and no shops.
You can get to Matiu/Somes Island on the scheduled ferry service which runs between Queens Wharf and Days Bay seven days a week, and from Seatoun on Saturday and Sundays.
We highly recommend groups of more than 20 people, and those staying overnight, book a place on the ferry. In severe weather conditions one or both ferries can be cancelled.
If you arrive by private boat or kayak see the Matiu/Somes Island by boat information.
Latitude: -41.25784063, Longitude: 174.86574992
- Adult (18+ years): $15 per night
- Child (5 - 17 years): $7.50 per night
- Infant (0 - 4 years): free
The campsite pass for rental campervans cannot be used at this campsite.
DOC/NZMCA campsite passes can not be used at this campsite.
Backcountry Hut Passes cannot be used at this campsite.
Book Matiu/Somes Island campsite online, or contact Kapiti Wellington Visitor Centre.
Before you book:
- Full payment is required at the time of booking.
- Cancellations must be made at least 10 days before the original occupancy date and within 48 hours of making the booking, otherwise a cancellation fee applies.
- Transfers are not able to be made less than or equal to 2 days before the first night of stay.
Know before you go
- The island has a complete fire ban. Fires, fuel/gas stoves or lanterns are not allowed. During the dry summer months the island can be closed due to extreme fire risk which may affect your booking.
- Take all your rubbish/recycling with you and remove it from the island.
- Leave the campsite clean and tidy (toilet paper and cleaning materials are provided).
- Bring a good torch with you, for around the camp and to take yourself for a night walk. If it has a red light all the better.