IntroductionThis is a standard six-bunk hut in the Wairarapa region.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from stream
Washpool Hut is the nearest hut to the Putangirua Pinnacles.
The hut was built in 1962 by the New Zealand Forest Service for pest animal control work in the area. It had to be re-built soon after when a large rimu tree fell through the middle and completely destroyed it.
- Heating - wood burner
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Youth (5–17 years): $5 per night
- Child/Infant (0–4 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
Approximate times from nearest road and hut
- Cape Palliser Road via Aorangi Crossing: 4–5 hr (10 km)
- Cape Palliser Road via stream bed: 3 hr 30 min (9 km). Permission required from Mr D.L. McIlraith, +64 6 307 7823
- Pararaki Hut: 2 hr 30 min - 3 hr 30 min (4.7 km)
Tracks to this hut
Aorangi CrossingLocated in Aorangi Forest ParkCross the Aorangi Range from Putangirua Pinnacles to Cape Palliser.Duration 2-3 daysDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: BR33
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1791372, N5405681