Dawson Falls area
Located in Egmont National Park in the Taranaki region
IntroductionExplore the Dawson Falls area of Egmont National Park.
Only 30 minutes drive from Stratford, the picturesque Dawson Falls/Te Rere o Kapuni roadend (902 m altitude) is home to:
- The 18 m high waterfall, Dawson Falls or Te Rere o Noke
- One of New Zealand's oldest operational power generators
- A small visitor centre (check opening hours) with information and displays, including the old Syme Hut which has been rebuilt inside
- Konini Lodge which offers booked backpacker style accommodation for individuals and groups.
Find things to do and places to stay Dawson Falls area
Visit the Dawson Falls Power Station near the Dawson Falls Visitor Centre. The power station’s generator is the oldest in continuous operation in New Zealand and amongst the oldest in the world.
Dawson Falls sits at the top end of Manaia Road 14 km from Kaponga. The drive to the roadend is through scenic native forest. Kaponga is an easy drive west of Stratford and Eltham.
- No dogs are allowed in this area.
- Mt Taranaki has changeable and unpredictable weather. Check the forecast and carry clothing and equipment to ensure you are able to cope with any type of weather.
Dawson Falls Lodge closed
Dawson Falls Lodge is being redeveloped at Dawson Falls road end. The Lodge and café are closed during this work.
Take care when travelling up Manaia Road to Dawson Falls road end as there may be increased traffic and heavy goods vehicles.
Dawson Falls Visitor Centre is open:
- 9 am to 4 pm, Thursday to Sunday all year round
- sometimes on public holidays depending on staff availability.
|Dawson Falls Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 27 443 0248|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Egmont National Park
PO Box 462
New Plymouth 4340
|Full office details|