IntroductionThis serviced hut is tucked in a sheltered arm of Pekapeka Bay in Whangaroa Harbour. It sleeps 16. The hut must be booked online in advance.
Easy walk from road end
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
The hut is located in an idyllic landscape only a few steps from the water. The area has spectacular rock formations and fine regenerating coastal forest.
The hut provides an excellent base for exploring the Whangaroa area. You can enjoy a refreshing swim or simply relax on the deck.
The hut sleeps 16.
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Youth (5–17 years): $12.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0–4 years): free
Hut tickets cannot be used at this hut.
Backcountry Hut Passes can be used at this hut. Passes can be used unlimited for a 6 or 12 month period for most Serviced and Standard huts.
Check back here regularly for updates. A minimum of two weeks’ notice will be given.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your hut booking is for any bunk bed, not for a specific bunk bed – select your bunk bed on arrival.
For booking enquiries contact Kauaeranga Visitor Centre.
The hut is situated in Lane Cove at the western end of Pekapeka Bay, also known as the Western Arm, in the Whangaroa Harbour.
You can access the hut by boat from Totara North or Whangaroa township. At high tide you can unload almost at the doorstep.
Water taxis may be available.
There is a walk to the hut on the Wairakau Stream Track from Campbell Road, Totara North – route can be weather dependent due to stream crossings.
Tracks to this hut
Wairakau Stream TrackLocated in Whangaroa areaThis track is for experienced trampers. It first climbs over a saddle to an old farm road and then descends through regenerating forest to Wairakau Stream. It ends at Lane Cove Hut.Duration 2 hrDifficulty Intermediate
Topo50 map sheet: AU28
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1666802, N6125419
- Outdoor fireplace available all year except during restricted fire season
- No tents or temporary structures are permitted in the reserve
- Hunting by permit only
- No dogs
- The hut is locked. You will receive instructions on getting the access code in your booking confirmation letter.
Help stop kauri disease
- Stay away from kauri tree roots.
- Clean your footwear and gear before and after visiting kauri forest.