Hokianga harbour, near Opononi
Image: Jack Mace | ©
Arai Te Uru Recreational Reserve is at the South Head of the Hokianga Harbour and offers expansive views of the harbour and coastal area. The site is rich in history from the first landing of Kupe, Maori settlement and European influence.
The remnants of the signal station which guided ships across the dangerous harbour entrance can still be seen on the reserve near the point.
The station was closed in 1951 due to a decline of shipping and trading in the Hokianga.
Arai Te Uru is the name of the Taniwha which guards the harbour entrance with its sister Taniwha Niwa which stands guard on the opposite shore.
Arai Te Uru Recreational Reserve is at Hokianga Heads, 56 km west of Kaikohe. From Kaikohe, travel west along SH12 through Omapere. Take a right into Signal Station Rd. The reserve and carpark is at the end of the road.