Riordans Hut was built in 1926 by brothers Laurie and Fred Riordan as a musterers hut. The Riordans ran 2000 wethers in the area before grazing ceased in the late 1950s.
The original hut was the gable roofed structure. It was built from native cedar and totara framing and clad wtih slabs split with a broad axe. The lean-to-annex was added in the late 1940s, built from sawn 8x1 beech, bought in by packhorse from Uruwhenua.
The hut was used in the 1930s Depression as a stop-off and storage depot when 40 gold miners lived in Waingaro Forks.
The hut was renovated in 2003.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BP24
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1578383, N5456162