Mt Fishtail Route
Located in Mount Richmond Forest Park in the Marlborough region
IntroductionClimb up to Mt Fishtail (1643 m) via Fishtail Hut.
Forestry operations in the area can close roads into Mount Richmond Forest Park. Check the status of roads into Mount Richmond Forest Park.
Pine Valley Road to Pine Valley Hut site
Time: 40 min
Distance: 2 km
Follow the Pine Valley Track to Mill Flat Campsite and on to the site of the old Pine Valley Hut.
Pine Valley Hut site to Fishtail Hut
Time: 5 hr
Distance: 7 km
Continue past the Pine Valley Hut site and take the track up the ridge above to Fishtail Hut.
Fishtail Hut to Mt Fishtail summit (1643 m)
Time: 1 hr
5 km north of Renwick, just over the Wairau River bridge, turn off SH6 onto Northbank Road. Follow this for 25 km then turn into Pine Valley Road and follow this to the end.
Make sure you have enough experience for your trip. Always fill in hut books and ensure someone knows your intentions.
- Snow, wind and fog are hazards of the open tops - you will need the skill to tramp in these condition.
- Water in the park may not be safe to drink. If you doubt the safety of any water source, you should boil, filter or chemically treat it.
- Bad weather can occur at any time - be prepared with warm, waterproof clothing and extra food.
- Wasps are common from December until April. Carry antihistamine if you are allergic to their stings.
Rivers and streams
In normal flows unbridged streams and rivers can be crossed. However, in flood they can become impassable and you will need to be prepared to wait until flood waters recede.
Stay safe when crossing rivers
If you plan to cross unbridged rivers, know how to cross safely and be prepared for if you cannot cross.
Do not cross if the river is flooded, you cannot find safe entry and exit points or are unsure it’s safe. Turn back or wait for the river to drop. If in doubt, stay out.
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
|Whakatū / Nelson Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 546 9339|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Millers Acre/Taha o te Awa
79 Trafalgar Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|