Severn to Sedgemere 4WD Road
Located in Molesworth Recreation Reserve and Upper Wairau River area in the Marlborough region
IntroductionThis is a 4WD-only road that takes you through Tarndale to the Acheron Road. The road is only open from 5 January to 27 February 2023.
24 km one way
- Four wheel driving
The road is only open from 5 January to 27 February 2023. The gate will close on Monday evening of the 27th.
This is a 4WD‑only road that takes you around Tarndale to the Acheron Road.
It is 24 km long and approximately a 1 hour drive / 2 hour 30 minute cycle, joining the Acheron Road at Red Gate (Severn‑Acheron River confluence). There is no camping along the road – ensure you allow enough travel time to reach the designated campgrounds.
Keep to the marked route. Drivers must be experienced at river crossings and should not attempt the drive during heavy rain or flooding. The road may be closed due to weather conditions or fire danger.
Acheron Accommodation House Campsite
Molesworth Cob Cottage Campsite
- 23 km from Cobb Cottage to Severn turnoff.
- 36 km from Acheron Accommodation House to Severn turnoff.
- 24 km from Acheron Road to Sedgemere Sleepout.
- Approximately 1 hour drive and 2.5 hours mountain bike ride between Sedgemere Sleepout and Severn turnoff (Acheron Rd).
- Approximately 30 minutes drive / 2.5 hours cycle from Severn turnoff to Cobb Cottage.
- Approximately 1.5 hours drive / 3.5 hours cycle from Severn turnoff to Acheron Accommodation House.
Open from 7 am to 7 pm.
Road may be closed due to weather conditions or fire danger. Check the road status before setting out – contact DOC Wairau/Renwick Office ph +64 3 572 9100.
- Suitable for high clearance 4WD vehicles only
- Keep to marked route only - keep away from Red Gate and Tarndale farm operational areas.
- Do not attempt the drive during heavy rain or flooding as there are several river crossings.
- No mobile coverage.
- No fuel or food available.
- Check your spare tyre before you go; space saver tyres are not suitable.
|Wairau / Renwick Office|
|Phone:||+64 3 572 9100|
22 Gee Street
PO Box 51
|Full office details|