IntroductionEnjoy the stunning views of the Mercury Islands from the pā site at the top of the Opito Point Historic Reserve.
From the end of Opito Bay Road walk east along the beach. Ascend the 196 steps up Opito Point to the pā where you get sensational views of the Mercury Islands.
From Kūaotunu village follow Black Jack Road past Otama Beach. Continue along the gravel road another 20 minutes to get to Opito Bay. Park at the end of Opito Bay Road.
- Stairs have no handrails.
- There is a non-flushing public toilet at the carpark.
- Freedom camping is not allowed in this area.
- Check the tides. High tide makes the beach access difficult.
- Dog access changes seasonally – follow the council signs that are on the beach and accessways to the beach.