Inside Dasler Biv
Dasler Biv, formerly know as Cullers Biv, was built in 1966 by the New Zealand Forest Service to accommodate wild animal control hunters.
Read more on the Conservation Blog, 20 February 2012: If these walls could talk... deer culler huts tell tales of our past
Dasler is a 2x3 metre, two bunk hut built on treated wooden piles. It’s exterior is clad in flat tin, with a corrugated iron roof and a flat tin chimney. Framing is dressed timber and the floor is 65mm tongue and groove. All the timber has been treated. The interior lining is melthoid and chicken netting. Dasler has a five pane window on the east wall and a tongue and groove ledged door in the north wall.
The bunks are across the south wall and the fireplace is opposite the window. The floor, top plate and ridge board all have joins indicating that the hut was possibly flown to the site in two sections. The hut has not been modified nor has it been subject to vandalism.
The bivouac is located beside a small stream at the beech bush line below the Dasler Pinnacles.
The hut retains its original form and materials and is a very good example of its period. At 1220 metres above sea level it is the highest wild animal control hut in the Twizel area and possibly Canterbury.
Good example of a two-bunk wild animal control hut.
The hut will be maintained to protect its historic fabric and minimise deterioration, while it is still used for recreation.
Dasler Biv is 7 - 8 hours (21 km) up the Hopkins valley from Red Hill car park, at the end of Lake Ohau Road.
NZTopo50 map sheet: BY15
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1347219, N5128059