The Old Avoca Homestead, built in 1909, has been recently restored. Access is via Craigieburn Road, which becomes McFarland Road at the last railway crossing by the Avoca Railway Station. The road crosses the railway line or runs alongside it at several places, extreme care is needed as many coal trains use this rail. Just before reaching Broken River, the road becomes a rough 4WD track. Avoca Homestead is finally reached by crossing Broken River.
Avoca Station was one of the most inaccessible stations in the Waimakariri Basin. The original run lay north of Broken River and was enlarged in 1904 by adding a block on the south bank taken from the Mt Torlesse run. In 1917, Avoca was incorporated into Flock Hill. The old Avoca was taken up by Charles Harper, son of the Bishop of Christchurch. He shore sheep on the property and brother George packed the wool out on bullocks, three sacks each, then sledged it over Porters Pass.
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1508619, N5216976
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12-month period.