Harrisons Bight vehicle access permits
IntroductionFind out about vehicle access to Harrison's Bight.
Hakatere Conservation Area 4WD tracks closure for motorised vehicles due to extreme fire risk
4WD tracks in the Hakatere Conservation Park, will be closed to motorised vehicles from Friday 2 February 2024 due to extreme fire danger. This closure will remain in place until the fire risk decreases.
Vehicle closures will be in place at Harrison’s Bight, Lake Emily, Lake Emma, Lake Clearwater, and Paddle Hill Stream 4WD accesses.
Main access roads to Lake Clearwater/Camp and Lake Heron are not affected, and the above areas will remain open to visitors for walking and biking.
There is a total fire ban in place across the Mid-South Canterbury Hill Country. Outdoor fires are not permitted and previously granted fire permits are suspended.
- The track opens on 4 November 2023 and online applications are available.
- The track closes on 30 April 2024.
How to apply for access
Applications are currently closed due to extreme fire risk.
Conditions of use
- Vehicle usage is seasonal.
- Vehicle owners will require permits to use the track and that permit holders comply with the permit conditions.
- Permit holders must read the conditions and disclaimer regarding usage expectations, prior to permit issue.
- Track may be closed (temporarily or permanently) at any time that:
a) breaches of the permit conditions become unacceptable; or
b) unseasonal weather conditions affect the site. Unseasonal weather conditions could include extreme fire danger or wet ground.
- Permits will only be issued to owners of vehicles that are legally registered and, therefore, display registration plates. Vehicles that can access the track:
- 4WD vehicles
- ATVs (all terrain vehicles)
DOC may close the track at any time during the open season for reasons including:
- high fire risk conditions
- extended wet periods
- unacceptable damage to the facilities, biodiversity values, or social conflicts.
For fishing licences contact:
Central South Island Fish & Game Office
Phone: +64 3 615 8400
For questions about permits contact: