IntroductionThis is a standard 3-bunk hut in the Aoraki/Mount Cook area.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
During summer carry a tent as the hut may be full.
Facilities and services
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Adult camping: $5 per night
- Child.youth (5–17 years): $5 per night
- Infant (0–4 years): free
Before you go, complete an intentions form and pay fees at the Aoraki / Mt Cook National Park Visitor Centre using cash, Eftpos, Backcountry Hut Pass or Backcountry Hut Tickets.
Tracks to this hut
Ball Hut RouteLocated in Aoraki/Mount Cook National ParkWalk to Ball Hut with superb views of the Tasman Glacier and surrounding peaks.Duration 3-4 hr one wayDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: BX16
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1373423, N5165775
Plan your travel during daylight hours.
The area around Ball Road is made up of complex avalanche terrain and unstable ground. Large avalanches may cross the road from June to November. Call the Aoraki/Mount Cook Visitor Centre for advice on conditions.
Some areas require high tramping skills
We recommend high level of tramping skills and experience if you’re going:
- beyond Husky Flat on the old Ball Hut Road, and
- up the east Hooker (western side) of the Ball Pass crossing.