Areas you can take dogs
Select the 'dogs allowed' filter option on these pages.
There are currently no campsites in Fiordland where you can take your dog.
Dog access rules are found on the track, campsite or hunting blocks overview.
If you're unsure about dog access in a particular area, check with the nearest DOC office or visitor centre before you set out.
Areas dogs are not allowed
- Parts of Fiordland National Park – check the track, hut, campsite, or hunting block page.
- Burwood Bush Reserve – map of Burwood Bush Reserve closed area (PDF, 677K)
- Pyke Forest and Awarua Point Conservation Areas
Areas dogs are allowed
- Takitimu Conservation Area – map of Takitimu Conservation Area dog access area (PDF, 986K)
- Eyre Mountains Conservation Park
- Snowdon Forest, Mount Prospect, Margin Forest conservation areas – map of Snowdon Forest, Mount Prospect, Margin Forest conservation areas dog access area (PDF, 861K)
- Ewe Burn – map of Ewe Burn dog access area (PDF, 433K)
- Supply Bay – map of Supply Bay dog access area (PDF, 387K)
- Welcome Point up to Camp Bay – map of Welcome Point up to Camp Bay dog access area (JPG, 193K)
- Waitutu Forest – map of Waitutu Forest dog access area (PDF, 387K)
A dog permit for controlled access areas is required to take dogs into these areas. You can get a dog permit from the Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre or the Murihiku District Office.
No permit needed
- Mavora Lakes Park – map of Mavora Lakes Park dog access area (PDF, 940K)
- Te Anau Basin public conservation land
- Public conservation land between Te Anau Manapouri road and the Waiau River map of dog access area (PDF, 560K)