Before you come to New Zealand
You do not need a work visa to volunteer with DOC. You can volunteer on entry to New Zealand as long as you do not receive payment or benefits. You still need to have a valid visa before coming to New Zealand.
You may need a police certificate
Depending on the volunteer work you do with us, you may be required to provide a police certificate to DOC. Your police certificate would need to be written and certified in English. It's easier for you if you get a police certificate before you leave your country of residence. However, you can still get a police certificate if you're already in New Zealand.
You do not need a new police certificate if you've:
- supplied DOC with a police certificate, and
- volunteered with DOC in the past three years.
You would need to provide evidence of this.
Volunteering with DOC is an option to gain experience. DOC does not offer internships to students who study at:
- universities outside New Zealand, or
- other education providers outside New Zealand.
For all volunteers with DOC, we strongly advise you get comprehensive travel insurance and unlimited medical cover. DOC does not accept responsibility for any:
- personal medical or accident events
- loss or damage to personal items of equipment, or
- other associated costs while you're volunteering with DOC.