Tiritiri Matangi Island 7-day general maintenance
IntroductionGet involved on Tiritiri Matangi.
We place two volunteers on Tiritiri Matangi every week, excluding late December and January.
Volunteer places are often filled a few months ahead.
Let us know your availability in the comments of your application, and if you are available at short notice when there is a cancellation.
We will only contact you when we can offer you a place.
When applying you will be asked to state your preferred date. The volunteer week begins on a Sunday.
What to expect
Fitness required: Medium – capable of comfortably walking with a 5 kg pack over uneven ground for up to 6 hours.
A volunteer work day is only six hours long. Everyday you walk the tracks, check the water troughs and (seasonally) assist with the sugar water processing and distribution for the nectar feeding stations.
The rest of the time you will assist the rangers with whatever activities they need help with that week. Cleaning, weeding, painting, infrastructure and/or track maintenance are some examples. One afternoon you will clean and tidy the island Visitor Centre. Outside of your working hours you are free to explore the island.
You will not be directly working with wildlife: Your role on the island is to assist the rangers with General Maintenance tasks, while fortunate enough to be spending time amongst many of New Zealand’s endangered species.
Transport: Transport to and from the island by ferry is provided at no cost by Explore Ferry:
- Departure points are Auckland Ferry Terminal or Gulf Harbour Marina.
- Auckland: The Explore kiosk is at the Viaduct Harbour at the end of Quay St. It is a 5 minute walk from Britomart Transport Center. There is no free parking for your vehicle.
- Gulf Harbour: Departure point is pier Z, Gulf Harbour Marina, Whangaparaoa (North of Auckland). You can park your vehicle here for the week at no cost.
- Explore Ferry departure times
Food: Bring your own. No supplies are available on the island. Please pack all food in rat, mouse and insect proof (sealed) containers.
Accommodation, facilities and gear list
Your accommodation will be in the island bunkhouse; this will be booked for you free of charge. This is a shared bunkhouse and you will be expected to help with daily clean up duties.
Tiritiri Matangi is a mammalian-pest free island:
- All foodstuffs must be placed into rodent and insect proof containers.
- Use containers such as fishbins, chilly bins or barrels, with lids.
- Plastic or cloth supermarket bags, or similar are not secure enough to ensure that insects or rodents are not able to climb in.
- All bags taken to the island must be able to be completely closed.
- Your boots, clothing and packs must not be carrying any dirt or seeds through which new species of weeds or disease could be introduced to the island.
- Use DOC's biosecurity checklist to assist you when you are cleaning and packing your gear.
- Contact us if you are uncertain or have any questions about biosecurity.
How to apply
Register your interest by filling out our online application form.