This multi-day programme runs year round except in January.
Starts on a Sunday and ends on Saturday (with options to end 1 to 3 days earlier).
What to expect
Fitness required: Medium – capable of comfortably walking with a 5 kg pack over uneven ground for up to 6 hours.
A volunteer work day is only six hours long. Everyday you walk the tracks, check the water troughs and (seasonally) assist with the sugar water processing and distribution for the nectar feeding stations.
The rest of the time you will assist the rangers with whatever activities they need help with that week. Cleaning, weeding, painting, infrastructure and/or track maintenance are some examples. One afternoon you will clean and tidy the island Visitor Centre. Outside of your working hours you are free to explore the island.
You will not be directly working with wildlife: Your role on the island is to assist the rangers with General Maintenance tasks, while fortunate enough to be spending time amongst many of New Zealand’s endangered species.
Transport: Transport to and from the island by ferry is provided at no cost by 360 Discovery Cruises:
Food: Bring your own. No supplies are available on the island. Please pack all food in rat, mouse and insect proof (sealed) containers.
Accommodation, facilities and gear list
Your accommodation will be in the island bunkhouse; this will be booked for you free of charge. This is a shared bunkhouse and you will be expected to help with daily clean up duties.
Tiritiri Matangi is a mammalian-pest free island:
- All foodstuffs must be placed into rodent and insect proof containers.
- Use containers such as fishbins, chilly bins or barrels, with lids.
- Plastic or cloth supermarket bags, or similar are not secure enough to ensure that insects or rodents are not able to climb in.
- All bags taken to the island must be able to be completely closed.
- Your boots, clothing and packs must not be carrying any dirt or seeds through which new species of weeds or disease could be introduced to the island.
- Use DOC's biosecurity checklist to assist you when you are cleaning and packing your gear.
- Contact us if you are uncertain or have any questions about biosecurity.
How to apply
You are welcome to register your interest to volunteer after this date by completing the online registration form.