Concession application by Ngā Waihua o Paerangi Trust
IntroductionHave your say on an application submitted by Ngā Waihua o Paerangi Trust for a trail in Tongariro National Park. Submissions closed 5 pm 20 October 2022.
Submissions closed 20 October 2022
This application is notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987. The Minister of Conservation has received an application for a licence concession.
Applicant: Ngā Waihua o Paerangi Trust
Location of proposed activity: Near Ohakune, Tongariro National Park
Location history: Tongariro National Park
Map Reference: 8.8 km trail on the southern slopes of Mt Ruapehu, starting at Ohakune
Concession type: Licence
Summary of proposal:
For phase 1 of a multi-staged approach to the trail known as Te Ara Mangawhero. The applicant has applied for a 20-year licence for the development and operation of the trail. In addition, they have applied for a works approval under the Tongariro National Parks Management Plan for construction works, a 20-year filming permit and a 20-year guiding permit.
- Application form Applicant Information 1a (PDF, 693K)
- Application form Private Structures 3b (PDF, 309K)
- Application form Works Approval (PDF, 456K)
- Application form Filming 5a (PDF, 207K)
- Application form Land Based Guiding (PDF, 1,196K)
- Assessment of Environmental Effects (PDF, 69711K) Note: this is a very large file
How to make a submission
Any person or organisation may make a submission in writing to the Director-General on the proposal.
Submissions closed 5 pm 20 October 2022.
1. Prepare your submission
Record what you think in the submission form.
Any person or organisation wishing to be heard at a possible hearing in support of their submission must request an opportunity to appear before the Director-General. This request must be included in your submission.
2. Send us your submission
Send your submission by email or post. You'll get a confirmation email or letter when a submission has been received.
Subject line: Ngā Waihua o Paerangi Trust notification
Department of Conservation
Private Bag 3072
Attention: Lynette Trewavas, Senior Permissions Advisor
Once submitted, submitters' information is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and may be released under that Act. If you wish to keep any part of your submission confidential, state this in writing when making your submission.
What happens next
After submissions close:
- DOC will analyse and consider all submissions.
- A hearing will be held if there have been requests to be heard by the Director-General If you have expressed an interest in presenting your submission at a hearing, you'll be contacted by DOC regarding this.
- DOC will analyse and consider information raised at the hearing if a hearing occurred.
- DOC will make a recommendation to the Minister of Conservation.
- The Minister of Conservation will make a decision on the application.
If a hearing is required, it's likely to occur the week starting 31 October 2022
No details at this point.
DOC comment regarding publicly notified applications
The Minister of Conservation has made no determination regarding the suitability of this proposed concession on public conservation land. This public notification should not be interpreted as an intention on the part of the Minister of Conservation to grant the proposed concession.
If you have a question about the application or the submission process you can contact Lynette Trewavas, Senior Permissions Advisor.