This application is publicly notified under section 17SC of the Conservation Act 1987. The Minister of Conservation has received an application for a Lease, licence and easement for a term of 40 years to construct and manage a small hydro scheme.
About the application
No. 8 Limited
Location of proposed activity
Within the Waitangi Forest Conservation Area, Whataroa Scenic Reserve and Marginal Strip – McCulloughs Creek, West Coast, South Island.
Approximately 4,981m2, between approximate map references NZTM: 1392680.5206250 NZTM:1391846.5205998, NZTM: 1390417.5206541 and NZTM: 1390907.5206898
Topo50 map BW16 - Whataroa
Summary of proposal
No.8 Hydro Limited has applied for a 1.890kW, run-of-river hydro scheme on McCulloughs Creek. The scheme includes intake structures, penstocks, access road and powerhouse. The requested term is 40 years.
How to submit
Any person or organisation may make a submission in writing to the Director-General on the proposal. The submission must be made on a submission form – download a copy or get one from your local DOC office.
Make a submission by sending a written or electronic submission to:
West Coast Tai Poutini Conservancy
Department of Conservation
Private Bag 701
Attention: Chari Taylor
Submissions close on Thursday 24 May 2018 at 5 pm. Once submitted, submitters' information is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and may be released under that Act. If you wish to keep any part of your submission confidential, you need to state this in writing when making your submission.
Any person or organisation wishing to be heard in support of his/her submission, must request (within that submission) an opportunity to appear before the Director-General.
A hearing will be held on Wednesday 26 September, 10.30am, at the Hokitika DOC Office (Only one submitter to be heard).
DOC comment regarding publicly notified applications
The Minister of Conservation has made no determination regarding the suitability of this proposed concession on public conservation land. This public notification should not be interpreted as an intention on the part of the Minister of Conservation to grant the proposed concession.
- Received May 2018: No 8 Ltd - hydro submissions (PDF, 6,536K)
- Letter to submitters: No 8 Ltd - invitation to update submissions (PDF, 20K)
- Updated submissions received September 2018: No 8 Ltd - updated hydro submissions (PDF, 3,830K)
- Application forms 1a and 7a (PDF, 3,616K)
- Environmental impact assessment (PDF, 8,756K)
- Visual assessment from architect (PDF, 9,707K)
- Visual assessment appendix A (PDF, 13,980K)
Further information provided by applicant
- No 8 Ltd - response to DOC, further information request (PDF, 313K)
- No 8 Ltd - Further information: NIWA minimum flows report (PDF, 931K)
- No 8 Ltd - ENZL McCulloughs Creek supplementary ecology report (PDF, 10,848K)
Some of these documents are scans and very large files.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format. About our files.