In the “Exploring nature with children booklet”
There are many organisations and places you can go for further information and support to engage your kids in the natural world. Here are just a few websites:
- 50 things to do
- Kiwi Guardians
- Nature activities for families at home
- New Zealand curriculum linked education resources to support teaching and learning in nature
- Nature Connectors by Kids Greening Taupō – a collection of simple ideas and activities for nature connection in your local green space, backyard, or school.
- Kiwi Conservation Club (KCC) is the junior section of Forest and Bird. They publish a regular magazine for children and most places around New Zealand have volunteer KCC coordinators that organise adventures and activities for young New Zealanders. The website has ideas and activities your kids can do in their own backyard.
- Sharing Nature is a worldwide educational movement started by Joseph Cornell that uses experiential nature activities to uplift and inspire. The Sharing Nature website provides activities and tools for parents and educators to support playful and inspirational experiences with nature.
- Sustainable Living website has practical information and ideas for sustainable living.
Experiencing the outdoors