National parks you can apply for
If you want to fly your drone in one of the following national parks, contact the relevant office before submitting your application:
- Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park – contact our Aoraki office
- Kahurangi National Park – contact our Nelson office
- Rakiura National Park – contact our Rakiura office
- Westland Tai Poutini National Park – contact our Westland office
- Whanganui National Park – contact our Whanganui office.
How to get a permit
- Why you need a permit and how to get one for recreational drone use.
- How to get a commercial drone use permit.
National parks we do not recommend you apply
Drone use is not generally allowed in the following national parks including for recreational purposes:
- Abel Tasman National Park
- Arthur’s Pass National Park
- Egmont National Park
- Fiordland National Park
- Mount Aspiring National Park
- Nelson Lakes National Park
- Paparoa National Park
- Tongariro National Park.
We do not recommend you apply to fly a drone in any of these national parks. Your application is likely to be declined, and you will be charged a fee ($65 plus GST per region you apply for) for the time spent processing your application.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format.