Photos we need
People outdoors and enjoying nature
If you have photos of your friends or family camping, walking or enjoying other activities in the outdoors, we'd love to see them.
Photos that show the inside and outside of our huts, campsites, picnic areas and other facilities. These are really useful as they help to show people what they can expect when visiting these places.
View a list of places that we need photos of.
We don't need species images
We don't currently need images of species for the website.
How to submit your photos
If you would like to submit a photo, email email@example.com with "photo submission" in the subject line. Either:
- include your image as an attachment to the email, or
- send us a link if your images can be accessed on Flickr or another website.
You must have the right to share the photo, and if there are people in the shot you must have their permission. If children appear, you need permission from their parent or guardian.
Details to include:
- Your full name so we can give you credit.
- Where the photo was taken (as specific as possible).
- If people are in the photo, confirmation that you have asked their permission.
- Confirmation that you are the legal owner of the photo and have the right to share it.
- How you would like your image to be licensed (see 'Image licences' below).
File size: If you are sending your photo as an email attachment, the file should be no larger than 2MB or it may not arrive in our inbox. You can reduce the file size using online tools such as TinyJPG or Compressor.io.
Resolution: The larger the resolution, the more likely your image will be useful. If it is around 2000 - 4000 pixels wide this will give us the flexibility to use your image online and in printed publications. We may need to crop your photo.
Acknowledgement and your rights
If we use any of your photos, you will be acknowledged and the image license you have chosen will be adhered to as far as it can be controlled by DOC.
We sometimes get requests for images from our partners, individuals or other organisations. Let us know whether you allow your image to be shared by choosing one of the following licences.
Your image is for DOC use only. We will not share your image without your permission first.
Creative Commons licences
- Attribution (CC BY 3.0)
Others can distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation.
- Attribution | Non commercial (CC BY-NC 3.0)
Others can remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially with credit to you (their new works must also be non-commercial).
- Attribution | Share alike (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Others can remix, tweak, and build upon your work even for commercial purposes, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.
- Attribution | Non commercial | Share alike (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Others can remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.
- Attribution | No derivatives (CC BY-ND 3.0)
This licence allows for redistribution, commercial and non-commercial, as long as it is passed along unchanged and in whole, with credit to you.
- Attribution | Non commercial | No derivatives (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
This is the most restrictive Creative Commons licence, only allowing others to download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can't change them in any way or use them commercially.
See the Creative Commons website for more information.
Terms and conditions
By submitting your photo you agree to the following:
- You are granting the Department of Conservation (DOC) permission to use your image as it sees fit, for the sole purpose of promoting conservation and recreation activities.
- You are granting permission for your photo to be used in any medium or form of distribution, including but not limited to: the DOC website, social media channels, brochures, posters and other printed material. We may need to crop your image, depending on how we use it.
- Depending on which licence you have selected, your image may be shared with DOC's partners, individuals, or other third party organisations.
- You will not receive any payment if DOC decides to use your image however you will always receive credit/acknowledge whenever your image is used. This will occur either in a picture credit, caption, link or acknowledgement within the publication.
- You retain copyright and intellectual property of the image.
- You warrant that you hold all copyright and intellectual property in your image.
- You indemnify and hold harmless both the Director-General and Minister of Conservation against all claims brought by any third party claiming breach of copyright or privacy breach in the image.